- Polish citizenship, Polish passport - Legal service

Polish citizenship guide


Registration of foreign documents

One of the documents that needs to be attached to a Polish passport application is the applicant's birth certificate and in the case of married applicants, also a marriage certificate. If the applicant was born abroad then his/her birth certificate needs to be registered at a Polish department, called a Polish registry office (Urząd Stanu Cywilnego). The registration is necessary because a Polish passport can be issued only on the basis of a Polish birth certificate. A Polish birth certificate can be obtained after registering a foreign birth certificate at the Polish registry office. If the applicant was married abroad then the marriage certificate also needs to be registered in Poland. The application concerning a foreign birth/marriage certificate registration is submitted at a Polish registry office in accordance with the applicant's current or last Polish place of residence.

read more »